Sunday, March 10, 2013

Garden Route Tour

What a crazy adventure this weekend has been. All 7 of us girls plus our local & medical coordinators traveled up the eastern shoreline of South Africa along the Garden Route. It was a beautiful, scenic weekend filled with many firsts.

Friday march 8th:
0500- Depart Cape Town
0830- enjoyed breakfast at a quaint cafe. I ordered the French toast since everything else came with eggs :)
1230- arrived at cango caves (my second favorite event of the weekend). Here we completed the adventure route. This included squeezing through a one foot horizontal opening for about 5 meters, crawling up a 75%incline through a canal in the rocks, and then army crawling through a vertical opening of about 1 1-2 feet for another 5-6 meters.
1530- arrived at ostrich farm. I was the first one out of the tour group to ride an ostrich. Definitely an adventure but probably not something I would care to do again.
2000- arrived at blue orchid for dinner. Enjoyed some local wine from the Cape Town vineyards.

Saturday March 9th:
0930: Tsitsikamma canopy tour. Zip-lined through 10 different tree landings. The longest one was 90 meters long and 30 meters off the ground. The forest area was beautiful but we didn't see very many animals as the guide said most are nocturnal.
0100: WORLDS HIGHEST BUNGEE BRIDGE!! And yes, we all jumped! On the video I looked like I was about ready to give birth by the way I was breathing but I did jump without any assistance (ie a push in the back for those who chicken out last minute). After I jumped I had to dangle for awhile before they bring you back up. When the guy repelling down hooked on to me he asked how I was doing. I said "fine, I'm just crying" pathetic, I know :) I held onto his leg the entire lift up as if that would save me if my line broke. I don't have pictures of me jumping yet since they are on a DVD but I will try to get them up soon.
1630- arrived at knysna elephant park where we feed the elephants. We weren't able to pet them because the one was pregnant and could go into labor any minute so they had them in the fenced area. Normally they are free to roam the grounds.
1700- went to the waterfront and did some window shopping. I bought the best caramel gelatti by the dock. At 6 we boarded a ferry for a sunset cruise where we once again enjoyed some local wine. We also meet some Michigan state fans who were pumped to meet people from Nebraska.
2100- enjoyed some local pizza. My favorite was the Mexican style.

Sunday March 10th:
0900- left for a morning safari at Botlierakop game day safari. It was so fun to see lions, zebras, elephants, rhinos, antelope, and my favorite- the giraffes!
1200- enjoyed a fabulous lunch at the safari lodge.
1300- departed for the trip back to Cape Town.



























No comments:

Post a Comment